October 30, 2023

STRIVING FOR STABILITY

You will keep in perfect peace those
whose minds are steadfast because
they trust in you. -- Isaiah 26:3, NIV

A crazy day of ups and downs left me feeling drained and understanding the wisdom of keeping an even keel where my emotions are concerned rather than allowing myself to feel extreme highs or lows according to whether what I am experiencing seems good or bad. Right now it seems easier said than done though.

I know the key is to keep my eyes on the Lord and not get upset by frustrations or things that don't go the way I expect or want them to--or get carried away when they do. 

Today I felt tossed between extreme highs and lows. Highs when I received a wonderful belated birthday present and later, an unexpected invitation out for lunch. Plummeting to lows when I missed a phone call from someone I would really have liked to talk to and they did not call back, and when Word quit on me when I was in the middle of a work assignment. Plummeting even lower as frustration arose when I tried to find something I needed but couldn't, and when my mind refused to cooperate as I searched for the right words to express something I was trying to say.

If life is a school, then today was a test day that I did not score very well on. It did however reinforce the importance of not letting my emotions control me or tell me what reality is.

This song reminded me to trust God and keep my focus on Him.

 

No comments: