September 3, 2023

LORD, HELP ME OVERCOME MY UNBELIEF

Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do
not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do, and he will
show you which path to take. --
Proverbs 3:5-6, NLT

Today has been spent pondering many unsettling things I don't understand. Like why a friend who was making great progress in her cancer journey took a sudden turn for the worse and is now very close to the end. Or why every time I think I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel where my finances are concerned, it is soon followed by a major setback like my flipper breaking, or needing new glasses. 

Life has been so unpredictable. One thing after another has failed to turn out the way I anticipated it would. The only thing I can be sure of is that God loves me, that He is in control, and that I need to trust Him no matter how things may be looking in the natural. Sometimes though,  my faith wavers and I feel weary, and it's easier said than done. Like the father in Mark 9:24 I too want to cry out to Jesus, "I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief."

One of my devotionals today had some timely words of encouragement. It reminded me that it was only when Peter took his eyes off of Jesus and fixed his gaze on the wind and the waves that his fear got the better of him and he started to drown.  The reality was that Jesus had His eyes on Peter from the very beginning, and there was no reason for him to be afraid.

God is with us every moment of every day, and if we keep our eyes on Jesus, the storms of life will not be able to engulf us and suck us down. 

No comments: